25 August 2020
The Embassy of the Republic of Zimbabwe to the USA refers to the March 2020 suspension of processing of passport applications at the Chancery in response to the various restrictive measures imposed by the respective host Government and other US authorities in their effort to combat the covid-19 pandemic in the United States in general, and the DMV Area, in particular.
Zimbabweans living in the USA are hereby advised that the Embassy will resume the previously suspended consular activities, in particular passport application, with effect from 31 August 2020.
In order to mitigate the chances of contracting the coronavirus by both our valued clients and the Embassy’s consular staff; the Embassy’s operations are guided by the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Government of the District of Columbia’s regulations. The Embassy urges our clients that prior to making the journey to the Embassy in Washington DC, consult these authorities’ websites so as to abide by the regulations articulated therein.
The Embassy takes the opportunity to inform clients that the Embassy is abiding by the US CDC guidelines and expects all visitors to the Chancery to do the same. As per the CDC guidelines, ways to lower the risk of catching coronavirus include the following;
- Anyone over the age of 2 years should wear a mask or face covering at the Chancery. Keep it over the nose and mouth.
- Wash hands often. Scrub with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. As a backup, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who lives outside your home. Please maintain the six feet away distance even when wearing masks.
- Always cover coughs and sneezes.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
In addition, the following procedures will be observed;
- All clients will be served strictly by appointment between 10.00am to 3.00pm on Mondays to Thursdays (except US and Zimbabwe public holidays). The appointment system is being designed and implemented to ensure that clients do not exceed the allowable congregation thresholds at the Chancery’s Consular Unit, as per the US CDC protocol on social distancing.
- To book for an appointment, please call the Embassy or click this booking link.
- A maximum of 12 people will be assisted per day at this point. Service provision is strictly in accordance with the allotted appointment date and time.
- Appointment confirmation is required to be granted entry into the Chancery building.
- Clients are urged to strictly adhere to the allotted time slots.
- Time slots are neither interchangeable nor transferable.
- Only passport applicants will be permitted in the Consular Unit (except minors). Friends and other companions will have to wait outside of the Chancery.
- Clearances for the repatriation of remains for burial in Zimbabwe will continue to be strictly processed via the existing electronic platforms.
- Interaction with the Embassy’s Consular Staff on any relevant matter of interest and general inquiries should be communicated via the following channels:
Phone Number: 202-332-7100
Email Address: email@example.com
Facebook Page: ZimEmbassyDC